Saturday, June 25, 2011

grandma's recap, the final installment

My favorite is the teriyaki flavored kind.
So what was the first thing I did immediately post-race?

I high-fived the Jack Links Sasquatch.

You know, Bigfoot. Yeti. Wildman. Hairyman.

Or whatever you like to call him.

The one thing I remember about him is that he had reallllyyyy long fingernails.

Some seriously weird shit happens in marathons.

Got my medal and my t-shirt (which is snug as hell, by the way... apparently, they ran small.  I should have listened to the shirt lady and ordered a large. Dammit.)

Had the photo op with Lisa 30k, we said our goodbyes and then I was off in search of food, AJ and the husband.

See AJ over my right shoulder?  I looked for her for about
5 minutes after this picture was taken.  Doh!
At this point I realized how F-ING cold it was.  And windy. Where the hell were the damn metallic blankies???  I wanted one.  NOW.  Turns out, they ran out of them.  Seriously??? After seeing numerous banners along the course saying we were all at risk of hypothermia??  Not cool.  I overheard another runner say there were blankets in the massage tent so I went there and got one.  Ahhhhh, it was warm!!

Still no AJ.  Did I mention she kicked my ass?  Beat me by over a minute.  I still love her though.

Then I heard the husband call my name.  He and SS had tracked me down!!  Hugs and kisses all around, and a couple of pictures, took one more turn around the finish area to look for AJ, then went back to the husband and SS and AJ was there.

Best post-race burger and beer EVER.
We chatted for a little while longer and then parted ways - AJ and I on a quest to find the free beer (which we quickly lost interest in) and the bus back to our hotel; and the husband and SS hitting the road for the long drive home.

It was on our way to the busses that we saw Misty on her way to finishing her first marathon.  She is so inspiring!!

Back at the hotel, we showered and then went downstairs to the hotel restaurant for the best cheeseburger in all the land.

Soooo yummy!!!

Then back to our room where we both fell asleep and didn't wake up until 8:10.  That wouldn't have been a problem except that we were supposed to meet a bunch of folks from at 8:00.  Whoops!!  Quick splash of water to the face and off I went, medal around my neck, ready to meet new friends, including Bobbi, who has a hilarious blog, and is super fun to hang with!
AJ captured the momentous moment.

Sunday morning, we had a lovely breakfast at the hotel, hit Dunn Bros. for some coffee then headed back home.

But not until after I put a sticker on my car.

Normally, I don't do bumper stickers, but I thought I would make an exception, just this once.
Extreme close up. 

What a great experience - from start to finish - and I don't mean just the marathon.  All of it: the training, the day to day slogging, the anxiety, the aches and pains, the support, the challenge, the race itself...... I'm sad I can't have that "first marathon" experience again.

But...... the husband has expressed an interest in running a marathon..... so I might be able to live vicariously through him as he makes that journey!

It will also give me a chance to support him the way he supported me.

A little treat for sippin'.  The husband is so sweet!

Speaking of the husband and his support - you know of my love of tequila, right?  And my failed search for 1942 in Duluth - you remember that too? Well, the husband had a little treat waiting for me when I got home.  He even embellished the box to reflect my accomplishment.

He's the best!!

One last note:
You also know of my love of Oreo Cookies, right?  No??  Well, I love Oreos.  LOVE them.  In an almost unhealthy way.  I gave them up during training because I couldn't be trusted to have them in the house and not eat several (or an entire package) at a time.  I sometimes have portion control issues.  Anywhoo..... well, it turns out there was a huge post-race Oreo station with every kind of Oreo in creation AND I MISSED IT.  <insert effenheimer outburst here>

Next year, Oreo, you are mine.  Next year.


  1. Hello! Just found your blog and I am guessing you are a fellow Minnesotan. It sounds like you had a nice race at Grandma's. Nice post!

  2. again I got it wrong - I was guessing at King Kong, but really, I was all "what the HELL are you supposed to be?!!?"

    no meetup pics? Or did my hair engulf the entire picture? I don't think it's ever been as big as it was that day. Ok, maybe in high school it was bigger :P

    I missed the oreos too! AND the space blanket. DAMMIT.

  3. You have an informative blog. I’ve learned something from it. I do have mine too Thanks

  4. Welcome Wendy and Claire! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such nice comments!

    Bobbi- girl, if you want meet-up pics, I'll post them. I look like crap (not that I've let that get in my way before) I think my hair eclipsed yours. And my eyes are close to shut in every single photo. Again. What can I say?? It's a gift!

  5. Great recap again! Please keep up writing--you're hysterical and I look forward to reading about your running adventures.

  6. Thanks Bridget! You're so sweet!

    BTW folks.....
    I changed my name from "AgingNoviceRunner" to "BitterHag Running"...... trying for a little consistency as I pick where I'm going next.....

  7. That hubby of yours is a keeper! I love the thoughtful gift to get you all liquored up :) And the 26.2 on the box totally shoots him to rockstar status. He really needs to commit to his first marathon because he is SO lucky to have you as a coach!

    I'm shooting for my first full marathon next year. I hope the experience is as positive as yours has been.

    Congrats again!!!!

  8. Your enthusiasm is so contagious. I'm directing everyone I know who wants to run their first marathon over to your blog!


Hey, don't be shy, leave a comment!! I'd love to hear from you!!