Monday, January 24, 2011

slowly she turns....

I am trying so hard to eat better.  It's not easy for a carb-whore like me to avoid the breads, the Oreos, the fat, the salt, and the grease that I love so very much.  But I think I am slowly making the transformation.  One step forward, ten steps back sometimes......I'm a work in progress.


Mmmmmm, panko crusted halibut....
I was on my own for dinner last Friday after circuit class so I stopped at Kowalski's on my way home to try to find dinner inspiration.  Not the best idea when I'm starving..... Anyway, here's what was in my bag when I walked out of the store (after paying for it of course): fresh halibut, yellow squash, zucchini, baby bella mushrooms and rye berry salad.  Coated the halibut with egg, then dipped in whole wheat panko and baked in the oven......sauteed the zucchini, squash and mushrooms with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper.....ate the rye berry salad as is (and it was delicious!).  A fabulous meal for one!

Saturday: family meal with baked chicken breasts with olive oil and a mishmash of herbs, rosemary roasted red potatoes, asparagus with lemon and slivered parmesan cheese, and spaghetti squash.  Yum! Please note, there was NO bread at any of these meals.  Planning a meal without bread felt wrong, and color me surprised when I didn't miss the bread at all.  I wonder if aliens are taking over my body.  I feel like such a big girl cooking reasonably healthy food for more than one day in a row - especially on Friday when it was just for me.  It would have been SOOOOOOO easy to make a plate of nachos and eat them over the sink.

Mmmmm, grilled tuna steak!
Sunday: family meal (Again! Seems like a rare occurrence these days.) grilled tuna steaks with sesame seasoning,  mango salsa & fresh avocado, and brown basmati rice.  BIG shout-out to the husband for braving the below zero windchill to grill the tuna.

Annnnnd then I had two Oreos for dessert......and another one later to get my full serving of three cookies in.... Oh well.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, don't be shy, leave a comment!! I'd love to hear from you!!