Friday, January 28, 2011

best laid plans

Well, the husband and I were supposed to get away for the weekend to a B&B in Wisconsin but life (actually, work) interfered.  He's an IT director and has to deal with an inoperable server.  Major bummer but we're hoping that his team can get things resolved so we can go tomorrow and salvage at least one night away.

Like a good girl, I did my core work this morning.  Since I now had some unexpected extra time, I decided to go for a run this afternoon.  OUTSIDE.  Figured I could finally try out my new Garmin! I had to futz with it, getting it set up, messing with the online part of it and just plain trying to figure the damn thing out.  And my aging eyes are NOT helpful - I can't see it very well without wearing readers.  WTF?  When did my eyes become so old?  Super annoying!  But I digress.....

Jane
In for a penny, in for a pound, I decided to take Jane along for the run.  Why not? So what if the footing might be crappy and that Jane is easily distracted by the interesting smells and other organic items she comes across.  I'm sure I'll be able to remain upright! We ran exactly 3.1 miles, a perfect 5K as measured by my sweet new Garmin....ran along the lake by our house then took the bike path through the nearby neighborhood and along the road.  It was a good thing I wore my Yaktrax because part of the bike path wasn't plowed.  Snowmobilers had packed it down pretty well so it wasn't too scary to run on (remember, I wiped out a few weeks ago and torqued my already injured knee so I was kinda nervous about things).  Jane was a stellar running companion!  Happy to be out running, never complained about my slow pace, didn't do anything to cause me to fall and only tried to eat poop a couple of times (this refers to the dog, not me. I almost never try to eat poop).


My sweet Garmin!
Here's my cool summary:
Overall
Time: 00:36:48
Distance: 3.11 mi
Elevation Gain: 85 ft
Calories: 329 C
Timing
Time: 00:36:48
Moving Time: 00:36:21
Avg Moving Pace: 11:41 min/mi
Best Pace: 08:18 min/mi

Did I mention that I am slow?  Considering the running conditions and my fear of wiping out again, I'm pretty pleased with my pace.  I know I'm going to LOVE all the data I get with my new toy.  Next up: learn how to use the heart monitor.  For some reason, it wasn't picking up the signal.  I'm guessing operator error is the root of the problem.

Just heard from the husband: success with the IT issue!  Looks like we might get a little time away after all.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, don't be shy, leave a comment!! I'd love to hear from you!!