Tuesday, February 22, 2011

of sickness and road tripping

Darling daughter and I have been on the road exploring colleges on the East Coast since last Saturday.  Lucky for us, we missed the nasty snow storm at home earlier this week.

Three states, four nights, five colleges.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and I certainly had the best of intentions for working out while traveling with DD.  I made sure that I booked hotels with fitness centers and packed enough workout clothes to get me through the trip with minimal chance of offending other fitness hounds with my smelliness.  Not that I worried too much, I figured anyone unlucky enough to be working out next to me out East on day four was probably not going to cross my path in Minnesota....

Anywhoo.....I have had the absolute worst cold during this entire trip with a cough that causes buildings to shake and HURTS.  The signs were there the day before we left so I tried heading off the cold with Zycam with no luck..... I have consumed my body weight in Ricolas, and find myself reallllllyyyyy looking forward to when I can have my next dose of cough syrup.  I'm also dousing myself in hand sanitizer in what I hope is not a vain effort to try to keep my germs to myself.

So the upshot of it all is that I have not worked out once since I left home last Saturday.

With darling daughter and our sweet ride
at Mount Holyoke college.
Surprisingly enough, I don't feel too bad about things.  Darling daughter and I have had a great time galavanting across the NorthEast in our su-WEET white Dodge Charger rental car, I've been eating dessert almost every day, and we have shared a lot of laughs and rediscovered how much we have in common (OMG the gene pool!) and how much we enjoy each other's company.  It's been time well spent.  Maybe if the cough settles down for longer than 5 minutes at a time I'll try out the fitness center tomorrow.  Or not.  We have some free time tomorrow morning before our last college visit and flying home tomorrow evening.  Right now I'd rather hang onto the magic of the road and the fun to be had with DD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, don't be shy, leave a comment!! I'd love to hear from you!!