|This is how we decorate our workout room.|
Anywhoo, now that 2012 is upon us, here's a little recap of my 2011 experiences. It's my love note to myself.
1. Finish my first marathon. GOAL MET! Grandma's Marathon 4:56:27.
2. Complete at least one race per month in 2011. On average, I met this goal. I ran 18 races in 2011 (including one virtual race). December was my only "no race" month - I was planning to do the Reindeer Run on the 4th but it just wasn't in the cards. So.... I guess I didn't run at least one race per calendar month...... regardless, I'm going with GOAL MET. 'Cuz that's how I roll. (Also, I like to show how in touch I am with the youngsters by using hip phrases like that.)
3. Get stronger and (hopefully) faster as the year goes on. Ok, so I'm really not sure that I'm any stronger, but judging by the PRs in my last few races, I think I definitely got faster! So...GOAL MET.
|I'm a huge fan of the hardware. (Hmmmmmm, does that |
make me a bling whore?)
I got my first medal at the January 2010 Polar Dash and
earned two more that year. The rest are all from 2011.
Oh, and see that big gold one? That's from Grandma's!
- When you find running socks you love, buys lots of them. I now have so many pairs of running socks that they have their own drawer and don't have to mingle with my non-running socks.
- Eggs before a long run = bad.
- It's best to check the mirror when trying different looks for races (e.g. tying your jacket around your waist; wearing a headband for the first time; lipstick choices....)
- 4 = the number of toenails I lost this year before finding the perfect socks
- Tucking things with sharp edges (e.g. HoneyStinger waffle package) in the waistband of your pants (because you don't have pockets) and then running 10 miles, can lead to painful divots in your skin. So don't do that.
- Ice baths, scary though the concept may sound, are your friend.
- Too many carbs and not enough protein before a workout = bonking.
- This should be fun! If it's not fun, change it up.
- It's tough to accomplish big goals on your own. To the husband: I couldn't have done most of this without your encouragement, love and support. Thank you!! You are simply amazing. And I'm lucky!
- The kindness of strangers goes a really long way. Thanks to you folks who have read my little observations on running and have been kind enough to comment, donate money to a good cause and show your support as I shuffle along towards various finish lines. Seriously, your comments make my day. It's been fun hearing from you and getting to meet some of you!
So what's next? I feel like I'm getting my mojo back and am excited for the new year. I'm sure it will wax and wane per usual but here's what I'm shooting for in 2012:
- I'm going to complete Grandma's again and improve my time.
- I'm going to run 1000 miles. Yes, run, not walk and elliptical and run (see end of year totals, below), I am going to RUN 1000 miles.
- I will run at least one mile per day every day of the year. (the "I heart to Run" running streak challenge)
- I will purposely move my body 30 minutes every day for the first 100 days of the year. I may try to stretch that out for the entire year, we'll see how it goes!
- And I must mention eating better. Oh, the eternal struggle to not consistently succumb to my love of carbs and sugar and grease and salt. I'm working on eating clean..... this one should be fun to watch.
- Keep on trying new challenges and see where this adventure takes me next.
What does 2012 hold for you? What are you excited about?
One last snapshot: Here's my mileage as tracked on dailymile.com for 2011 - includes running (560.87), walking (282.39) and elliptical miles (15.44). Total of 858.7 miles.